Generally, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, if you have pets, and how regularly your air filter has been replaced, to name a few—you may need to have air duct cleaning
more or less often. So, how can you find out for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are absolutely some telltale signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a blockage within your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers blowing out dust?
- When you check inside with a flashlight, can you see an accumulation of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents nestled in your ductwork?
- Can you hear clatter other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s more than likely time to ask Farnell Mechanical, Inc. in Opelika about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are some things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and lengthen the amount of time between specialized cleanings.
Mostly importantly, setup annual HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Farnell Mechanical, Inc.. A service of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and possible replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system functioning efficiently, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also converse with the team at Farnell Mechanical, Inc. about installing an air purification system. We have the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other actions you can take include:
- Frequently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Checking your air filters habitually and changing them when the manufacturer recommends replacing them. Most filters will show dust on them after a short time in service, but they may not need replacement.
- Sealing seepages in air ducts that allow dust to come in from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With a specialized air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Opelika home clean and healthy. Give the pros at Farnell Mechanical, Inc. a call at 334-245-4748.